What is it?
VPN - Virtual Private Network
You may use VPN for:
- creating of one virtual network from several local networks located in different places;
- forwarding of internet traffic over VPN server for prevention of interception of data in a non-trusted network or/and to change external IP;
- creationg of secure connection to corporate or home local network;
VPN can be created using by different protocols:
PPTP has been the subject of many security analyses and serious security vulnerabilities have been found in the protocol.
We will consider using of OpenVPN to make of VPN. CentOS 7 and Arch Linux will be used as OpenVPN servers, but you can use other Linux distro, there is no significant difference between. Using of OpenVPN for OpenWRT embedded devices consider in the other note.
CentOS 7 is widely used on VPS, contains very stable but old application packages.
Arch Linux - quite stable Linux distro based on latest versions of stable packages.
Steps for OpenVPN configure.
- Create of public-key infrastructure;
- Install and configure OpenVPN server;
- Configure of data forwarding on OpenVPN server;
- Install and configure OpenVPN clients;
Sometimes, additional actions for configure of data forwarding on OpenVPN client are needed too.